After Ragnar, I figured that if I was going to do a half-marathon anytime soon, now would be the time! I had six weeks in between to up my mileage and get ready.
I was a little (a lot!) intimidated by the higher mileage, but discovered that I liked working for a goal. As my miles started inching up, I realized that I actually enjoyed the longer runs! This fall has been pretty good to us in Virginia, so my Saturday long runs have been really pleasant.
I'd strap my shoes on, grab my music and step out the door to enjoy the beautiful scenery around our house.
We had 7 girls from our Ragnar team go on to do either a half or full marathon.
Most of us choose to run Richmond November 12. My friend Molly and I went down the night before to pick up or packets, go out to dinner and spend the night in a hotel for our early race time the next morning.
I was crazy nervous for Ragnar, and the 5k I did over the summer, but I was just excited to run this one. We were COLD when we got to the start line at 7am. Thank goodness for the bag-checks, so I can dump my big coat and things off before running!
We met up with some other friends, and got to be all excited together before the start.
Richmond did a really good job of pumping everyone up! I was ready to start running!
Here's the crowd we got to run through. It's crazy how many people we had to weave around, just get some breathing room to run in!
But we did it! We are Half Marathon finishers!
Medals and everything...
I had no real expectations for this race. I wanted to finish, and be happy with how I did.
BUT in the back of my head, I thought I'd be really happy finishing under 2:10:00.
My actual time was 2:08:34!!
YEA!!
I was really pleased with that. I jumped up and down when I passed the clock at the finish line.
Definitely a high note end on.
Some highlights:
- GREAT weather. It was chilly standing at the start, but perfect to run in. Sunny and beautiful.
- Fun, not-too-strenous course. Good for a first time. I've made peace with hills, because it is REALLY hilly where I live, so 13.1 fairly flat miles were nice.
- The last mile was all downhill, and the last few blocks were a pretty steep downhill. My legs took off and I cruised in!
- Everyone was so friendly! People came out of their homes, businesses and churches and were lining the streets, cheering you on. It was pretty funny hearing strangers yell "Go April Hunt!" (because that's what my bib said). Thanks for the encouragment, random strangers!
- Water stops every 2 miles. This really made the miles fly by, even when I didn't need water.
- I got a finisher's medal from MCDONALD'S! HA!
- My family came down for the end. Love them!
And some lowlights:
- I lost my friends after 2 miles. BOO!
- I totally missed the junk food stop at mile 9. I saw a table with beer, but missed the gummy bears, cookies and soda. DANG IT!
- Our course merged with the marathon course at their mile 19, and I though it would have been funny to stop and take of picture of myself by the mile 19 sign ('cause that's the closest I'll get that mile point, maybe EVER!). I didn't stop...and kind of wish I had that picture.
- There was NO McDonald's food for the McDonald's Half Marathon! (well, just apple dippers, which I never saw...so that doesn't count.) HUH? I wanted chicken nuggets and french fries!!
- I broke my phone. I dropped it, trying to take a picture, and shattered the screen... sad.
I had a great time,
13.1, I will meet you again!
Up next:
11/19 Turkey Trot 10k
12/03 Hot Chocolate 15k




1 comment:
Get ANDY to do-it-yourself replace your screen on your phone. I read a tutorial the other day and it sounds like it would be no challenge for a HUNT. ;) Congratulations on your great run. k.
Post a Comment