After living in Northern Virginia for over a year, we finally got around to seeing Mount Vernon.
It's only 15 miles away from us...
But it was fun to go with my two little girls, and Andy's parents.
And a gorgeous, mid-September day.
Mount Vernon was spectacular. The historical society really has spent a lot of time and effort making things the way they were when George Washington lived there.
I love history, so it was fun for me to learn about the home, and Washington's life there.
The area was HUGE, and we only were able to see half of what was there.
We spent a few hours touring the house, gardens and learning in the visitor's center.
I absolutely LOVED the view out the back of the house, down the hill and to the Potomac River.
Too bad I didn't have a picture...
Here's Lillian, guiding us along with her map. She thought that was great.
Grandma Jean, helping Mason into the house.
Mason actually behaved herself there. She didn't try to slip under the ropes and run amuck in each room, or make a nuisance of herself.
I was grateful for this; a year and half previous, when we tried to tour Beauvior in Biloxi, my girls seemed to forget all their manners, and we had to remove ourselves from that tour.
(It was a better option than being asked to leave...)
Lillian was fascinated by the concept of the 'outhouses', and the fact that there was no running water, or flushing toilets. She talked about it for days afterward.
I guess we're pretty spoiled now. Thank goodness!
Thanks for joining us, Grandma and Grandpa. We sure enjoyed learning and exploring with you!
No comments:
Post a Comment