Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cayden Was Here

Walk into my house and you're sure to find little pieces of art everywhere.
Only this art isn't art, but toys - little bits of paper and drawings, carefully cut out and hauled all over.
Cayden's creations.

You might find turkeys, for instance, on the board in our kitchen.

Copied and hung in a place of honor.
He remembered when Grandma Kaye came for Thanksgiving and made them with him.

Not a bad reproduction...

You'll find baseball bats on our mantle, and signs designating each room in our house as a particular place.
We've had weather and season rooms, continent rooms, and currently we have sports rooms.  Each room  has been decorated appropriately - all hand-crafted, of course.


We generally have crafts and projects strewn about, and scissors and glue littering the kitchen table.


Lately, schools of fish make daily migrations from one room to the next.


I think this was a reenactment of Finding Nemo in the little girls' room.

I was quite impressed by the shark.

No matter how frequently I clean up, or sneak these things into the garbage, they always come back. 
Cayden is undaunted in his urge to create, and recreate.

I'm glad for that.

I remember my brother doing the same thing with me when we were little.
We called them 'paper cut-outs'.
I think my mom said she still has some saved.

So I guess I shouldn't be so quick to throw these things out.
My kids are making memories.

So just remember that when you come into my house and see a bird taking flight from the ottoman...
...you're seeing signs that Cayden was here.

2 comments:

The Brown Life said...

Torrey does the same thing. She will make dresses for her paper dolls. One day she and her friend made up party rooms. Labeled them, put up mail boxes and then making invitations to invited to all the parties. We go through a lot of paper in this house.

Christi said...

Cute. I always feel guilty sneaking creations and projects into the garbage...