My wonderful sister-in-law, Marcie, just sent me this picture of my brother, Jason (on the right), in Kuwait on his way to Afghanistan.
My eyes are teary, and my heart is swollen.
Not with sadness, but with pride.
My family is full of Active Duty Military service members. My husband is, my brother is, my little sister's husband is, and my sister-in-law's husband is. My dad was for 20+ years.
But my brother's deployment to Afghanistan last month is the first time that any of them have had to go to one of the War Theaters. We've been lucky so far, but I'm sure all of them will eventually go.
It's what they agreed to, after all, when they joined the military.
Despite having been living a military life for the past 8 years, I've known just a few people who have lost loved ones in service. We lost a good friend, LTJG Frankie Toner, almost a year ago in Afghanistan. His wife, though moving on with her life, still grieves, and suffers every day.
But again, our family has been lucky.
I pray every day for our service members over there, and their families back home. I'm thankful for their willing service. I'm proud of my husband, family members and friends who have chosen to serve.
God be with you, Jason.
I love you.
1 comment:
I got the picture too this morning and immediately sent it on to my siblings and Mom and Dad AND saved it to my computer to get copies made. It too made my heart swell and eyes tear to read your blog today, thanks April for saying all the things I'm not able to express. Thanks Marcie for sharing it with us!
Love you! MOM
Post a Comment