Sunday, April 4, 2010

Disappointment

Ashton was invited a few days ago to go for a ride on her friend Alyssa's boat.
She was SO excited, as were the other kids.
They all came running to me to ask if they could go.

We've lived here long enough that I know how these things work.
All of our neighbors have either one or two kids. 
Not our four, three of which travel in a pack together.

And most of the neighbors are girls, except for one boy across from us, and one down the street.
 
So usually it's just Ashton who's invited to things - Cayden's a boy and Lillian is the annoying little sister who's always there.
 
Then I deal with the heartbreak and disappointment of the others.  Well Lillian mostly, things usually just roll off Cayden.
 
So on Friday Ashton came running up to me, begging me to go on a boat ride with her friends, Alyssa and Mekenzie, on Saturday.  Alyssa is in second grade, Mekenzie is in third grade and Ashton is in Kindergarten.  The other two are joined at the hip and have been neighbors and best friends for years.  Ashton loves them.  And slowly, slowly she's been becoming friends with them, instead of the little Kindergarten tag-along.
 
I wasn't quite sure if the invitation legit or not.  For an activity like this, when the kids are still pretty young, I think the parents would usually consult with the other parents.  I told Ashton I'd think about it, and we'd see the next day.
 
Saturday the boat ride was all Ashton could talk about.  She pulled out her swimsuit and tried to put it on as soon as she was out of the bath.  I had to talk her into waiting, and not talking about it in front of Lillian.  Lillian, of course, thought that if Ashton was invited, she was invited too.  I had to let her know that she was staying with me, and we weren't even sure if Ashton was going.  Lillian cried all morning.  She doesn't understand why she can't do everything Ashton does.
 
After lunch the kids all ran outside to play with Alyssa and Mekenzie.  The hours passed.  I didn't hear anything about the boat outing.
 
At about 2, they all came home, Ashton looking pretty dejected.
Instantly I knew what had happened.  Alyssa hadn't asked her parents if she could have two friends, and there was only room for one.  Of course she chose Mekenzie.
 
Poor Ashton.  I've watched all year as she's idolized these girls and tried so hard to be their friend.  At first they were pretty dismissive.  She is 2-3 years younger.  I understand that. 

But I still felt bad for Ashton.

After a little while Alyssa started opening up, and came to see Ashton when Mekenzie wasn't around.  Then she started bringing Mekenzie along with her.  Then Mekenzie started coming around on her own.
 
But they're older and have been friends longer.  Ashton still gets shoved to the side at times.
 
I'm so thankful that she's so young and doesn't realize it enough to be hurt by it.
I'm NOT looking forward to the day when she does realize it.  I hope it is years and years away.  Girls can be so mean when they get older!
 
These girls aren't trying to be mean though; really they're sweet girls.  But Ashton just moved here, and is a lot younger.  Of course she's going to be the third wheel.
 
Right now it bothers me more than it hurts her.  She takes it in stride and finds someone else to play with.
I hope it stays that way for a long time.  You never want to see your child slighted, accidental or not. 
 
Ashton dealt with her disappointment pretty well, and spent the rest of the afternoon playing with Cayden and Lillian, having a great time. 
 
One more reason I'm glad my kids have siblings, and LOTS of them!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Friends drama is such a heart breaker. I've totally cried over Strawberry's hurts.

Jenn and Mike said...

Me too! And in instances like this... I am glad I have boys who absolutely adore each other.