Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Soccer and Cayden


Cayden started soccer again a few weeks ago, and had his first game this last Saturday.  This is only his second year playing, and he is having so much fun!
I am so grateful for that.
We held off on starting Cayden in sports for a long time because we didn't think that he'd enjoy it or get much out of it when he was younger.  He would have wandered off, not listened to the coach and just want to do his own thing.
But I think team sports would be really good for him, in the long run.  He is such an independent kid, that I think it would be beneficial for him to learn to interact with a team, and work together towards a common goal.
Last year we felt that he was old enough, and had matured enough that we could start him.  I choose soccer because I thought he'd have more fun running around, chasing after a ball.
We started him in a very non-competitive league last year.  The kids played games, but no one kept score, and there were no winners or losers.  He did OK last year; we had some instances of him getting embarressed, or upset and stalking off the field in huff.  Andy would have to go chase him down and talk him into rejoining his team.  He was, and is, a pretty sensitive kid.  He just needs to toughen up and build his self-confidence.  We tried to talk to him and teach him that it's OK if you don't do everything perfectly, or that someone's better than you.  Just learn and have fun.  In the end, I think he had fun and was excited about what he had learned.
The message has definitely sunk in a lot more this year.  I still chose the uncompetitive learning league and we've been pretty impressed with his coach and the things he's teaching the kids.  Cayden has had a lot of fun, and gets along with the other kids really well.  His skills have been improving, and he hasn't left the field in a huff yet!

Cayden is growing up!

Cayden had a lot of fun playing in his game, and cheering his teammates on.  He did a really good job, too!  Most of the kids are still better than he is, because they have WAY more experience, but that's OK.  Cayden is not so sensitive about it this year, and he is much more open to correction.

And it helps that he comes with his own cheering squad.



The girls get pretty into it too. 
Andy and I know nothing about soccer, but we all have fun watching Cayden play.



Yea Cayden!

No comments: