Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Homework


My kids, especially the older ones, think it's so funny that I have homework just like they do.

I alternate between being happy and excited to be in school again - learning and using my brain to do things other than sweep floors, fold laundry and change diapers, and wondering why in the world I'm torturing myself.  I already graduated from college, for heaven's sake!

My house is a mess, my kids sometimes get neglected, dinner is rarely made, I'm exhausted and have no time for all the fun extras that I want to do.

The end of this semester was pretty hard and stressful.  I took three classes for 8 credits.  Two, Medical Terminology and Psychology II, weren't hard classes, but towards the end I resented the time they took up.  My third, Anatomy and Physiology II, was really hard, but really interesting. 
But still it was hard to find time to fit it in.
And it was a really hard, time consuming class.  Did I say that already?

Not to mention the fact that my semester was crazy, filled with weeks worth of  kid's snow days, Andy's frequent trips and a new pregnancy.
I've been a walking, nauseated zombie for the past 3+ months!

But the semester is over, Cayden and Ashton are almost out of school, Andy started a new minimal-travel job this week and our summer is just around the corner!

And despite the negatives, I really feel that I've been given an opportunity right now to increase my knowlege and education and learn skills that will benefit my family and me. 

I'm so grateful for my supportive and encouraging husband.  He totally steps up when I'm constantly taking off to study or take a test after he gets home from work.  And he never complains when we have sandwiches for dinner.  Again.

My kids may think it's funny that I'm doing homework, but they're also impressed by it too.  It is helping them to be more excited about school by seeing me in school.  I feel like I'm teaching them by example how important education is.  Even if my primary job is to be their mommy.

At least that's what I tell myself when my kitchen table is strewn with my homework, and my kids have no place to eat lunch...


And now it's warmer so I can send them out to eat on the deck.  Picnics are fun!


This day I was babysitting for a lady in my ward, so the little girls were entertained by friends and I didn't feel so guilty for neglecting them.

And now I think I'm a little addicted to being in school.  After last semester I was feeling so burned out that I thought I'd take a break over the summer.  But I just couldn't do it!  At the last minute (a week after the class started) I signed up to take Pharmacology. 

Really, I'm not crazy - just splitting the last couple of classes I wanted to take before I apply to nursing school.  And thank heavens for online classes!  I can go to school from home - both a challenge and blessing, but the only way I can do it.  Hooray!

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh, man, going back to school was hard for me, but I only had one kid (and one on the way) at the time. You are amazing. I don't know if I could do it now with the older kid schedules. But, yeah, learning all of the medical stuff was so fun for me because it was all brand new and it made me feel super smart, especially Anat & Phys because suddenly I knew a lot of the words they'd say on doctor shows. :) The sad thing about that class is that you forget so much of it later! I used to know the names of all the holes in the head and now, nothing. Congrats on getting your husband back. Is he going to miss the pretty ropes on his uniform?

The Hunts said...

Nope, he was pretty happy to pass them along!

joeandchelle said...

I feel ya! (except the prego part). I love going to school. It's so great!! what are you going into now? Keep up the good work! The kids look happy and I am sure they love seeing you doing homework.

The Hunts said...

I'm doing Nursing, Chelle. Much more versatile (and interesting) than Journalism!