Monday, June 7, 2010

Strawberries

Over Memorial Day weekend we went down to Southern Virginia to visit the Segalla's.

Our kids were excited; we were excited.

Our first stop on Saturday was to a strawberry festival to pick our own berries.  The day was warm, but overcast.  Certain ones of my kids complained a little (I'm sure that is to be expected in ANY situation), but mostly they had fun.  And ate a LOT of strawberries!


Look at this industious crew!


We gave all the kids buckets, and instructed them only to pick really red berries.  Of course they didn't follow those instructions, so Andy had to do some quality control.


We ended up with two full buckets of fairly decent berries, but we had to work for them!  The fields had been picked over pretty well by that time, and the area had recently recieved a lot of rain which resulted in mushy, moldy strawberries.  But the good ones sure tasted good!

Here are our girls and boys, hard at work:


Mason had come down with some virus the day before, and was running a temperature of 105 the night before, so she required constant cuddling and plenty of strawberries to keep her happy.


But she sure loved those berries - all the kids did!


The Hunts:


The Segallas:


Julie made a delicious strawberry pie and some homemade jam with the haul of strawberries.  So good!
You can also thank Julie for most of these wonderful pictures, which would also explain why she isn't in any of them!  Next time, I suppose...
(Here's what Julie had to say about our strawberry adventure.)

2 comments:

The Brown Life said...

girl, that is the longest I have ever seen your hair. I love it. You look beautiful.

Christi said...

Yea! I love berry pickin'!